Friday, October 30, 2015

Is it really Bass Pro weekend already?!

Seems like just a few days ago I was writing about my recovery from the Twin Cities Marathon. Now I'm writing about my next race.  It was an interesting 4 weeks as for the first time, I had to cram recovery time and training all into a short amount of time. I knew it would be difficult both physically and mentally but much to my surprise, the physical side actually has gone pretty well. Mentally, it's been a grind.  I've made it through for the most part. I wasn't able to stick to my plan 100% but pretty close. I just added in one extra rest day earlier this week.

Kimi and I crushed a 6 mile tempo run 2 weeks ago which really boosted my confidence to think I might have a legit shot at running fairly well this weekend in the Bass Pro half marathon.  This is the one race each fall that we pretty well don't miss. This race is where I have my P.R. for the half marathon. Everything just clicked together beautifully in 2012. The last few years, I'm still run my 2nd and 3rd fastest half marathon times at this race but each successive year has slowed slightly. I think the majority of the reason for that is that we have been running a June marathon each year which just seems to throw off summer and early fall training a bit.

I really think Kimi is ready for a great race this weekend. We're both running the same race but I'm not sure if we'll be running it together or not just yet. I like to compete for a top 3 spot if possible at this event. That means I'll have to wait and see how the competition shakes out before I determine if I will drop back and roll with Kimi or whether I leave her to do her own thing.  I'll probably give it a good 2-3 miles to determine how the race is going and see what happens. I'm just looking for this to be a good springboard race for her into her Olympic Trials training over the next few months.

As of now, the weather is looking extremely promising for Sunday morning which could allow a great race.

I just wanted to take a moment now to wish all of you out there that are running a race this weekend good luck! Remember one thing going into your races, HAVE FUN AND GREAT THINGS HAPPEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment