Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Racing Season Starting Up

It's been a long awaited 4 months with no racing for Kim and me. If I remember correctly, our last race was the Bass Pro Half Marathon back on the 1st weekend of November.  We're going to be racing this weekend and using it as a rust-buster type of race (as Kimi calls it).  We've already been doing speed work 2x per week but now get to lace up the shoes and toe the line with others to test our fitness levels for real. Any time you have an important race that you've been training for, (whether that's a half marathon, marathon, or even 10k), it is important to get yourself re-acclimated to the entire race environment by competing in a race shorter than the distance of your goal event.

Last week was a break through week for me. Since my knee issue started several weeks back, I've been unable to complete any significant long runs unless the miles were completed in a tempo run or workout setting. Going faster just seems to help my body feel better.  Over the weekend, I completed a 13 mile long run and didn't have any issues whatsoever. I'm still not 100% confident that I'm out of the woods yet, but I'm getting to probably 80% confidence.

Kimi and I also crushed some mile repeats over the weekend.  If things keep going the way they're going, I think I'll be back on track for some high mileage by mid-April.  It's critical that I get back to normal by then so I can have 2 solid months of training prior to the Grandma's marathon in June!

Last week recap
1 workout - 5x1mile repeats (missed out on the second one due to the terrible weather last week
13 mile long run
55 total miles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment