Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Things are trending upward! Week of April 14 - April 20 in review

Last week ended up being a really good week. It sure didn't start that way though. Monday- no running at all. Kimi and I were still a little tired from the weekend and with the cold weather, it was quite easy to just take the day off.  We decided that we were still going to reach our goal of 60 miles even if we took the day off so we calculated out what we would need to do to accomplish the goal and that's exactly what we did. We only needed to do one double in order to get to our 60 miles.  Our goal was to hit the miles, complete one workout (possibly two) and have a solid 16 mile long run.

We started our quest Tuesday with a solid 10 mile run. We ran 9 miles on Wednesday and followed that up with our only double of the week on Thursday. Thursday morning was also our workout day. We contemplated on what workout to do this week and finally landed on 800's on the trail. The goal was to run 6 of them. So far this year, workouts haven't been coming as easily as we would both like for them to feel, but we pushed through and completed the workout.

Ahhh, FRIDAY!!  Thank God for Friday's. Friday is our day to trot a nice easy 3-5 miles depending on the week.  This week, we needed to trot a 4 miler. With the Go Girl! Half Marathon Health and Fitness Expo, I had to get up and do my run early in the morning while Kimi was able to do hers over her lunch break. I spent the rest of the day enjoying the company of Connie Craven of Renewal Massage sharing a booth at the expo.

Saturday was the Go Girl race day. Connie, Kimi and I set up my tent to offer the participants the opportunity to have a post race soft tissue treatment/massage experience. There was a wonderful turnout for the event. I don't know the exact numbers yet but this was by far the most people that I've treated at a race so far.

Following the race, Kimi and I went home and decided to take some time to eat lunch and rest a little prior to venturing out to rock a 9 mile run. We had discussed doing a workout this afternoon but instead decided to go to Wilson's Creek Battlefield to get some hill work in. The run didn't start out feeling very good and I was shocked at the turn of events as this run just got better and better. We were rolling up the hills and down the hills like it was no big deal which is shocking considering we haven't been to a reasonably hilly terrain in quite some time.  My only fear was that we might have over done it one day prior to our long run.

Sunday = Long Run Time*  We were determined to make it 16 miles today. I knew it was going to be tough but I was determined. The funny thing about determination is that it doesn't always win out over the bodies fatigue. The way out wasn't terrible but with a slight breeze at our back, I knew it was going to be a long 8 miles back based on the pace of the trip out. We made the turn and headed back. Mile 9 clicked off and then the fatigue started to really get to us. In my mind, I always feel like if I can just make it back through Willard to where the trees begin to line the trail again, then I can make it the rest of the way putting one foot in front of the other. It didn't go quite as planned. Our bodies were winning the battle over our minds. Fatigue set in and we had to stop and take a short break. We decided to go ahead and take our Carb Boom energy gels during that break to fuel us the rest of the way back. We started back into the return trip and made it a couple miles before we simply needed to take a rest again. At that point, I was determined to finish up the run with no more stops. It wasn't easy. Following Rock The Parkway, I have been battling a blister on my left big toe that just won't quite heal up before I get back on it and get it inflamed again.  For the final two miles, that blister was really burning. I knew that if I stopped, it would be even harder now to get going again so I trudged on to the finish. It wasn't the prettiest of runs but I have definitely had worse.

All in all, it was a great week. I completed the goal of 60 miles, along with a hilly run, one double, and one reasonable 800m workout.  Let's hope that next week goes even better as the goal is to increase the miles up to 67 miles.

On another note, I did manage to complete the Kitchen ceiling texturing Sunday afternoon, so all in all it was a great Easter!


Goal:
- 60 miles
- 1 workout
- 16 mile long run

Actual:
All the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment