Monday, March 10, 2014

Going to have to turn it around and quickly!

This year has been a tough one so far. I'm not going to make any excuses for how poor my training has been so far this year. All I know is that if I want to get back to or even close to the level I was at a year ago, I am going to have to get myself out of this rut of lazy training and get focused on a good and challenging goal.  Two years ago, Kim and I both broke 3000 miles in a year.  Last year, though not quite as good, still had 2600+ miles.  This year, I'm on pace for nearly 1800 miles. That's just not going to cut it if I want to perform at my top level again. So what is this goal? And how on earth do I turn it around?  Well, it sounds simple, but in reality, changing a trend can be tough. It all starts by taking it one day at a time. The change in the weather should be a huge boost in itself because let's face it, running in shorts is way better than tights or pants. I'm also going to place goal cards on the wall in the bathroom (don't have a mirror yet) and motivational cards around the bedroom that will help change the intensity of our focus. All in all, the only way to buck the trend is to get out there and start putting in the work stringing run after run together to a point where not running starts to feel like an impossible option because things are going so well that you simply don't want to stop. The goal is to get my miles above 50 this week and then above 60 for about 13 straight weeks prior to the Grandma's marathon in June.

I had the most lazy week of running last week and I used the excuse that my running partner has been ill all week.  I feel terrible going out and doing runs when I know she wants to so badly but can't. All I can do is hope that she gets well soon so we can start pushing each other forwards towards our goals.

On a bright side, our house is coming along nicely. We have been painting trim, doors, door jams, and closet shelves like crazy.  It's pretty exciting to see it slowly coming together. It won't be long until we get to a point where all we'll have left to do is flooring and then a slight makeover to the kitchen. All in all, it's going quite well.


First Room All finished! :)

This week goal: 50 miles + Running
Finish Painting Doors and Door Jams
3 minutes of Abs Daily


No comments:

Post a Comment